Saturday, July 25, 2009

Milestone of My Army Life.

Article wrote on request of friend, whose an author in Kuala Lumpur Security Reviews. The original article can be view here. I translated it and post it here, pardon my English...

Time do flies, I'd served in Malaysia Territorial Army for the fifth year. Initially, i just want to enhance my knowledge about firearms and experience the fun of shooting.
Well, beside had better understanding about firearms, that i also enhance my leadership. From a section member (private) now became section commander (coperal), had force me to learn and lead.

I was dumb and naive during recruitment, which followed every instructions given by trainer and never think of the reasons behind it. I slowly realized the reasons for every paths and movement after gone through further courses e.g KADAR Course in 2006, Small Weapon Course and Section Commander Course in year 2007. That even promote me for Section commander (Coperal), and that's where my responsibilities followed.


My worst experience as leader occurred during the compass marching when i volunteer as assistant trainer for TAR College recruitment. I'm a leader for a team, and must lead my team from starting point to rendezvous point, which we need to cross rivers and hill in about 8-10 kilometers, with loads and rifles. Half way to the rendezvous, my junior start complaint about their tired feet. Well.... half of the journey completed under my pressure, i had to repeatedly force them to stand on their feet.

Firearms accounted for only 20 percent of military training, other include drilling, physical, leadership, military tactics etc, and most importantly --- cooperation. Its not easy to work together when your camrades are make up from different races, culture and background, It need more time before the group can cooperate and work together. I had a great experience in Potential Officer Course 2008, it was the most efficient course i ever been through, everybody working together as a team, we share and learn together. That's what i call military training.


Injuries is quite normal during training, the unforgettable moments was during Section Commander Course. Where i sprint my right ankle, what make it worst --- the field training in the next few days (advance on foot for 10km). If i unable to join, mean i'm dead! I won't be able to pass the course then ...... no way! Thanks god, i still able to join the advance, slow and steady i finish the advance phase. But it isn't over, second phase --- defense. We need to dig trenches in this phase. Its noon once we reach the defensive spot, the sun was hot and scotching, the worst thing happen to me when whole platoon been punish by lying on ground, under the hot sun. I fell unconscious just few seconds after i on my feet, dehydrated and exhausted.


From here, i truly realize ... to survive in worst scenario, a soldier must strong in will and physical.


Exercise 'Haringaroo 2006', join venture with Australian army.

Breakfast at field, memories of 'Potential Officer Course 2008'

3 comments:

2Lt Peh Hoo Guan said...

went for ex-harringaroo?? nice experience training alongside Ausies..haha

Chincf said...

the 2nd pic who breakfast with u is Chin. ady rasmi as Tuan.
same rejimen with me 508.

Becky said...

Chin was the camera man, the one beside me is Tee, also an officer of Reg508.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...